Socialist feminism! Everyday sexism! Women's struggles past and present!
RMT News April 2016 issue (page 26) includes a report on TUC Women's Conference; Janine was part of the union's delegation
Concealer hides the redness and the bruises
Long sleeves disguise the marks along her arm
A bangle covers twisted wrist contusions
A bandage shields her fractured thumb from harm
Dark glasses screen her puffy eyes and tears
Uncertain smile conceals the broken tooth
The scent he bought her drowns the smell of fear
A well-told story masks the brutal truth
The curtains shut out busybody neighbours
Just punching her emotions leaves no mark
His patronage buys sympathy and favours
Control her movements, keep her in the dark
- His hand across her mouth ensures her silence
- His public image veils his private violence
- The opening address stressed the importance of women workers organising in a male-dominated industry and the context of women's struggles in a time of austerity and terrorism.
- There was a minute’s silence for the victims of terror attacks.
- ATU (Romanian union federation) President expressed his support for women's representation in trade unions, describing this as a hard-fought battle that was yet to be fully won.
- Summary of ETF Women’s work over last few years: training, campaigns, organising women transport workers.
WHAT IS THE ETF?
The European Transport Workers’ Federation, linking transport trade unions across Europe. RMT is one of several UK affiliates.
Its Women’s Committee includes nominees from various countries and sectors. I am a member of the Committee for the term 2013-2017.
PRIORITY CAMPAIGN 1 – VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN TRANSPORT WORKERS
Reclaim its real name
It is International
Working Women's Day
Let’s celebrate with
Words of wit and wisdom from
"Freedom is always
The freedom of dissenters"
"I had crossed the line
I was free but a stranger"
Not all suffragettes
Followed the same politics
Even the Pankhursts
The house is getting dirty, she can't face it
The vacuum cleaner's burnt out, lying dead
She knows she'll have to save up to replace it
She wants a life of roses not just bread
And sucking up the dust from crusty carpets
Is never going to give her quite the pleasure
Of thumbing dusty pages at the markets
To clear the cranial cobwebs finding treasure