When Donald Trump said
"Grab them by the pussy"
The objectionable word
was not "pussy"
It was "grab"
His words were not "lewd"
They were violent
Socialist feminism! Everyday sexism! Women's struggles past and present!
When Donald Trump said
Roll up, roll up for the Sexism Olympics
Medals to be won!
It's not about your skill or fitness
But your husband or your son!
A guided tour round Minnie Lansbury's Bow, east London.
If you would like to arrange for me to take you on this guided walk, please email me.
Thanks to Andrew Gellert and Jen Blane for the photos.
Concealer hides the redness and the bruises
Long sleeves disguise the marks along her arm
A bangle covers twisted wrist contusions
A bandage shields her fractured thumb from harm
Dark glasses screen her puffy eyes and tears
Uncertain smile conceals the broken tooth
The scent he bought her drowns the smell of fear
A well-told story masks the brutal truth
The curtains shut out busybody neighbours
Just punching her emotions leaves no mark
His patronage buys sympathy and favours
Control her movements, keep her in the dark
- His hand across her mouth ensures her silence
- His public image veils his private violence
I am a railway woman, love my job
I take you there and back, I take your fare
Sometimes behind the scenes, sometimes you’ll see me
I fix the track or operate the signal
I clean the station, guard or drive the train
And when you need me, here I am to help.
- The opening address stressed the importance of women workers organising in a male-dominated industry and the context of women's struggles in a time of austerity and terrorism.
- There was a minute’s silence for the victims of terror attacks.
- ATU (Romanian union federation) President expressed his support for women's representation in trade unions, describing this as a hard-fought battle that was yet to be fully won.
- Summary of ETF Women’s work over last few years: training, campaigns, organising women transport workers.
What is working life like for women (and men) on the Bucharest Metro? How does it compare to our situation on London Underground? In Bucharest with the ETF Women's Committee, I spoke with Metro workers and gathered some facts …
WHAT IS THE ETF?
The European Transport Workers’ Federation, linking transport trade unions across Europe. RMT is one of several UK affiliates.
Its Women’s Committee includes nominees from various countries and sectors. I am a member of the Committee for the term 2013-2017.
PRIORITY CAMPAIGN 1 – VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN TRANSPORT WORKERS