RMT invites its members (and their guests) to join us at our National Education Centre to mark the first anniversary of the Grenfell Tower Fire. We will be hearing from poets who have contributed to 'Poems for Grenfell Tower', an anthology that expresses not just mourning for the victims but anger at the causes and solidarity with the ongoing struggle for justice.
Workers' self-defence starts with getting unionised at work. This section includes material on the trade union struggles and issues I am involved in and/or urge you to support!
Seconding a motion from the University and Colleges Union (UCU) about the Disabled People’s Summit, I outlined the reasoning behind the text that RMT had added to the motion via our amendment. The motion (incorporating the amendment) was passed unanimously.
This is my proposing speech for TUC Disabled Workers’ Committee’s emergency motion calling for action to stop cuts to funding for kids with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. Several trade unions’ delegates spoke in support of the motion, which was passed unanimously.
Conference, I am going to tell you:
The final motion at this year’s TUC Disabled Workers’ Conference was on Learning Disability. As this is an important and neglected issue, and the motion made some good points, it was clearly going to pass. However, I thought it important to point out some problems with it. Contributions to the debate were limited to three minutes, so this is probably more blunt and less nuanced than it might have been!
A two-day course for PCS members in the South West region. If you would like to attend, please contact your branch secretary or regional training officer.
1. TUC Disabled Workers' Conference, 24-25 May, Bournemouth
- Motions - The Committee agreed to to support all motions and amendments, except:
- Unison's amendment to Unite's motion on Universal Credit (oppose) - the motion opposes UC; the amendment wants to change this to reforming it
- POA's motion on mental health discrimination (oppose) - the Committee can not support the Time To Change campaign, as it is run by Mind, which collaborates with the DWP
- Community's motion on sustainable supported employment (decision deferred) - the motion proposes promoting a particular company as 'best practice' for the employment of disabled people - we need more information before endorsing this
TUC DISABLED WORKERS’ CONFERENCE 2018
Venue accessibility: We noted our success in getting the TUC to change the conference location to an accessible venue. We looked at the detailed access statement for the venue, and I asked that a relaxation space be allocated for the use of conference attendees.
Newcastle. Details to follow.