Action against discrimination.
Janine proposing a motion condemning deaths of autistic and learning disabled people in care, at TUC Disabled Workers' Conference in May 2019.
On 21 March this year, an inquest ruled that the death of Colette McCulloch was avoidable.
Colette was thirty-five years old when she died. She was autistic, and in a hostile society, she had become mentally unwell.
This is my proposing speech for TUC Disabled Workers’ Committee’s emergency motion calling for action to stop cuts to funding for kids with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. Several trade unions’ delegates spoke in support of the motion, which was passed unanimously.
Conference, I am going to tell you:
1. TUC Disabled Workers' Conference, 24-25 May, Bournemouth
- Motions - The Committee agreed to to support all motions and amendments, except:
- Unison's amendment to Unite's motion on Universal Credit (oppose) - the motion opposes UC; the amendment wants to change this to reforming it
- POA's motion on mental health discrimination (oppose) - the Committee can not support the Time To Change campaign, as it is run by Mind, which collaborates with the DWP
- Community's motion on sustainable supported employment (decision deferred) - the motion proposes promoting a particular company as 'best practice' for the employment of disabled people - we need more information before endorsing this
The government's consultation on transport accessibility has extended its deadline to Wednesday 22 November. Anyone can submit their views.
RMT's Disabled Members' Advisory Committee met for the second time on Wednesday 13 September.
1. Committee membership
We welcomed new members to the Committee, and completed the election of our Liaison (conference arrangements) Committee.
2. Guest speaker: Transport for All
Statement by the TUC Disabled Workers' Committee to TUC Disabled Workers' Conference, 18 May 2017:
There will be a general election on Thursday 8 June. Whatever the circumstances under which it was called, it is an opportunity for voters to either reaffirm or change the government.
Forthcoming TUC Disabled Workers' Conference, 18-19 May
The Committee agreed:
pic: Committee co-Chairs, Sean McGovern and Janine Booth
We have set up campaign working groups to get more work done on key issues: