This resolution was passed unanimously by RMT Women's Conference 2017.
THIS CONFERENCE NOTES THAT:
1. this year is the 50th anniversary of the 1967 Abortion Act
2. before this Act, women who did not want to continue an unwanted pregnancy were forced to seek illegal abortion; while richer women could often find private doctors to do this, working-class women were forced into dangerous 'backstreet abortions' where many were injured and some died.
THIS CONFERENCE RESOLVES TO
1. reaffirm our union's policy commitment to supporting every woman's right to choose whether or not to continue a pregnancy
2. campaign for public provision for free, safe, legal abortion on the NHS; for the extension of the 1967 Act to Northern Ireland; and for sex education, free contraception, and other measures to reduce unwanted pregnancy
3. publish an article in RMT News marking the 50th anniversary of the 1967 Abortion Act and explaining the union's policy
4. in conjunction with the National Women's Advisory Committee, draw up and implement a plan to mark the 50th anniversary and take forward this union's policy.