Dear Friends. Today I got the news that I've been expecting/dreading since I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my right breast had changed shape. I have breast cancer.
I have a 2.5cm lump, and the good news is that it hasn't spread to my lymph nodes. I will have an MRI scan next week, then surgery within a month, to be followed by further treatment.
In the meantime, here are the rules:
- It's OK to talk about it.
- I may have to blow out of commitments I have made to do stuff over the next while, but don't assume I have done unless I tell you.
- Boob jokes are fine. Sexist jokes are not. If you don't know the difference, shut up. (I'm working on my sense of tumour.)
- Cancer is going to regret picking a fight with me.
- Be nice to my family.
- First poem on the subject to follow soon.
- My birthday party goes ahead whatever.
- Check your boobs regularly. Including you blokes.