You've probably already noticed from the strapline at the top of the website that I am a Marxist, trade unionist, socialist-feminist, author, poet, speaker, tutor, former RMT Executive member, supporter of Workers' Liberty, aspie, bi, Peterborough United fan!
I have had three 'proper' books published:
- Guilty and Proud of it: Poplar's Rebel Councillors and Guardians 1919-1925 (Merlin Press, 2009)
- Plundering London Underground: Private Capital and Public Service 1997-2010 (Merlin Press, 2013)
- Autism Equality in the Workplace: removing barriers and challenging discrimination (Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2016)
I write and perform poetry. As The Big J, I was part of the ranting poetry movement in the 1980s, doing more than 100 gigs before giving it up at the end of the decade. In 2014, I took up the muse again, and am now a performing angry middle-aged woman poet. :-)
My three books of poetry were published by Hastings Press; you can buy them from this site, here:
- Mostly Hating Tories: poems by Janine Booth
- The 3Rs: Ranting Rhyming Revolting: more poems by Janine Booth
- '16: the age of discontent - a ranting, rhyming, revolting review of the year (also available as a CD
I am active in the RMT trade union, having previously represented its London Transport members on the union's National Executive.
I am co-Chair of the TUC Disabled Workers' Committee, and post reports and news here about how the Committee is working to organise and speak up for disabled workers.
As part of disability campaigning, I particularly work on the issue of autism, including running training and giving presentations to trade unionists about Autism in the Workplace.
I am also a member of the ETF Women's Committee.
I live in Hackney with my partner, three kids, two cats and a dog.